COVID-19: 145 new infections, 127 recoveries

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on May 22, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Thursday, announced 145 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 6,370.

According to HPA, the 145 new cases are 123 Maldivians, 11 Bangladeshis, five Sri Lankans, three Indians, one Nepali, one Japanese, and one Jordanian.

142 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining three were identified from the atolls

Meanwhile, 127 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 3,915.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 2,431 active cases.

There are 1,355 patients in isolation facilities and 161 in hospitals.

100,233 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 145 new infections this Thursday, 875 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

August 20: 145 cases

August 19: 146 cases

August 18: 170 cases

August 17: 124 cases

August 16: 106 cases

August 15: 107 cases

August 14: 78 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

3,701 people – making for 58 percent of the 6,370 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 42 percent are foreign nationals. And 2,091 people – making for 32 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 388 Indians, 70 Sri Lankans, 63 Nepalese, 11 Italians, nine Filipinos and eight Indonesians.

24 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 20 residential islands and cities with active coronavirus cases outside of the greater Male’ region; H. A. Ihavandhoo, H. Dh. Naavaidhoo, H. Dh. Kurinbi, N. Miladhoo, B. Kamadhoo, B. Kudarikilu, R. Hulhudhuffaaru, Lh. Hinnavaru, Lh. Naifaru, K. Thulusdhoo, K. Hinmafushi, A. Dh. Maamingili, F. Nilandhoo, V. Keyodhoo, V. Thinadhoo,Th. Madifushi, Th. Vilufushi, Th. Thimarafushi, Fuvahmulah City and Addu City (Hithadhoo, Feydhoo).

There are also active cases in 10 resorts, which include two tourists and 13 staff.