Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Saturday, announced 77 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 3,252.
According to HPA, the 77 new cases are; 56 Maldivians, 20 Bangladeshis, and one Indian.
Meanwhile, 36 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 2,534 people.
The new developments mean Maldives now has 688 active cases.
There are 541 people in isolation facilities.
71,974 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.
With the 77 new infections this Saturday, 322 people have tested positive over the past one-week period.
July 25: 77 cases
July 24: 55 cases
July 23: 17 cases
July 22: 59 cases
July 21: 45 cases
July 20: 33 cases
July 19: 36 cases
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.
44 percent of the 3,252 coronavirus cases in the country are Maldivians, while the remaining 56 percent are foreign nationals. 1,444 people – making for 44 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 1,454 Maldivians, 256 Indians, 46 Nepalese, and 25 Sri Lankans and 11 Italians.
15 coronavirus patients have died from complications.