COVID-19: 25 new infections, 54 recoveries

Rapid Response (RR) teams operate in the streets of Male' City to conduct coronavirus tests on June 6, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Saturday, announced 25 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 2,435.

According to HPA, the 25 new cases are; 19 Maldivians, four Bangladeshis, one Indian and one Nepali.

Meanwhile, 54 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 2,030 people.

The new developments means Maldives now has 390 active cases.

There are 269 people in isolation facilities, and 112 people in quarantine facilities.

55,245 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus testing.

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic four days later on March 11.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

35 percent of the 2,435 coronavirus cases in the country are Maldivians, while the remaining 65 percent are foreign nationals. 1,261 people – making for 51 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 863 Maldivians, 224 Indians, 44 Nepalese, and 19 Sri Lankans and 11 Italians.

10 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

Maldives began relaxing its lockdown following a drop in daily infections in the end of May.

The beginning of July has seen further relaxation of coronavirus restrictions; mosques in the greater Male’ region have been reopened for congregational prayers for the first time in over three months, cafes and restaurants have been allowed to reopen for dine-in services, and while those who leave the greater Male’ region are still subject to mandatory quarantine, people from other residential islands are now allowed to enter the capital without special authorization.

Meanwhile, government offices and courthouses will, which have remained partially closed, will officially reopen on Sunday.

Maldives is also scheduled to reopen its borders and recommence tourism on July 15.