COVID-19: 37 new infections, 19 new recoveries

A health professional collects samples for coronavirus tests on June 6, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Saturday, announced 37 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 2,187.

According to HPA, the 37 new cases are; 19 Maldivians, 12 Bangladeshis and six Indians.

Meanwhile, 19 more coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 1,788 people.

The new developments means Maldives now has 389 active cases.

There are 294 people in isolation facilities, and 151 people in quarantine facilities.

40,848 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus testing.

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic four days later on March 11.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

34 percent of the 2,187 coronavirus cases in the country are Maldivians, while the remaining 66 percent are foreign nationals. 1,146 people – making for 52 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 759 Maldivians, 206 Indians, 42 Nepalese, and 12 Sri Lankans and 11 Italians.

Maldives began relaxing its lockdown following a drop in daily infections in the end of May.

With the beginning of phase two of the relaxation of the lockdown on the capital last week, residents of Male’ City and its suburbs Hulhumale’ and Vilimale’ are now allowed outside without a permit from 05:00 am to 10:00 pm.

It marks the first time for residents of the populous Maldivian capital to be allowed outside without a permit in two months.

Meanwhile, restrictive measures in all other islands, except for the capital have been lifted.

The 37 new cases this Saturday marks the biggest spike in daily cases over the past three days, following 13 new cases on Friday, 17 new cases on Thursday, and 26 cases on Wednesday.