COVID-19: 10 new infections, 24 new recoveries

A man disinfects an ambulance in Male' City on June 8, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Saturday, announced 10 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 2,013.

According to HPA, the 10 new cases are seven Bangladeshis, two Nepalese and one Maldivian.

Meanwhile, 24 for more coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 1,217 people.

It also brings down the number of active coronavirus cases to 786.

There are 670 people in isolation facilities, and 347 people in quarantine facilities.

34,216 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus testing.

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic four days later on March 11.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.

The populous Male’ City has since become the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the country, contributing to over 90 percent of the total cases.

34 percent of the 2,013 coronavirus cases in the country are Maldivians, while the remaining 66 percent are foreign nationals. 1,065 people – making for 52 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 701 Maldivians, 191 Indians, 26 Nepalese, and 11 Italians and 11 Sri Lankans.

Maldives has also confirmed eight coronavirus related deaths, four of whom are Maldivians and four of whom are Bangladeshis.

Maldives began relaxing the lockdown in a bid to promote economic activity and return to normal life in late May. It will enter the second phase of the lockdown easements on Monday, which will see the residents of Male’ City outdoors without a permit for the first time in two months.