A policy on how the country will operate post-COVID-19 under the “New Normal” way of life is in the works, the National Emergency Operations Center has stated.
In a press conference tonight, NEOC spokesperson Mabrouq Azeez says that the policy will cover a wide range of areas.
“We have identified key areas. We are currently working on the action to be taken in these areas and the aspects to be enforced in writing.” Says Mabrouq.
A full draft is expected to be published when the policy is completed.
NEOC medical officer Dr. Ibrahim Afzal also speaking at the presser, says that the standard operating procedure for the new normal way of different aspects in life after the virus and the specific instructions pertaining to it were being formed.
How the citizens should act and behave will be in writing when the policy is completed, says Dr. Afzal.
Health professionals have warned that the world may have to prepare to live a new normal way of life and adjust accordingly. This is mostly due to the fact that no vaccine or specific treatment is still available for the virus.
Social distancing, wearing masks, clean hygiene, and washing hands regularly are all important aspects of the new way of life after the virus.
The total number of cases in the Maldives stands at 897. So far the country has recorded just three deaths with 31 recoveries.
The majority of the cases have been identified in the capital Male' City where the first case was confirmed on April 15. The city is in full lockdown and curfew as cases keep on increasing. Positive cases have also been identified in several islands in the northern region of the country. In order to stop the spread, authorities have implemented travel restrictions across the nation as well.
Health professionals in the country have already warned that the country could reach its peak of the virus within the next two weeks. The projected total for the country currently stands at around 77,000 cases. Projected information also shows that the country could record nearly 900 deaths from the virus.
Despite the figures, authorities remain positive that the virus has not gone out of hand and have even stated that the virus could be controlled in the next two to six weeks. This still very much depends on the restrictive measures and safety protocols being fully adhered to and followed by the public, authorities have warned.