The government of the Maldives has announced that around 9600 people were released from resorts and safaris after they were restricted from traveling due to the ongoing situation with the Covid-19 pandemic.
Government spokesperson Mabrouq Azeez, speaking in a news conference last night said that a total of 9663 people were allowed to depart from resorts and safaris so far.
“Around 800 people have been released from quarantine facilities, and 9663 people were allowed to depart from resorts and safaris,” said Mabrouq.
The Maldives has now confirmed 20 cases of the pandemic virus along with the positive case today. The country confirmed its first case on March 7. Out of the 20 confirmed, 15 are foreigners, while five are locals. 13 of these foreigners, as well as one local, have since made full recoveries from the virus. Currently, only four local cases are being treated for the virus.
Two foreign tourists who tested positive for the virus departed from the country upon completing their quarantine periods. The test results of the two tourists were only received after they had departed.
The Maldives is in state of public health emergency after the government made a declaration on March 12 which will expire on April 30.