Slain Anas’ father loses all hope for justice after Criminal Court ruling

The family of Anas Mohamed - a young man from R. Meedhoo who was stabbed to death inside the Litus Service Center in Male’ in 2017 – during a rally in R. Meedhoo, urging justice for his murder. (Photo/Nashith)

Abdul Rafiu Ibrahim, the father of Mohamed Anas – a young man from R. Meedhoo who was stabbed to death inside the Litus Service Center in Male’ in 2017 – states he has lost all hope for justice in connection to his son’s murder.

Criminal Court, on Sunday, acquitted seven suspects charged in connection to Anas’ murder; a ruling which the Prosecutor General’s Office said they are deliberating on appealing.

Speaking with Sun, Rafiu, noting it might even take up 40 years to receive justice with respect to Anas’ murder, says he has lost all hope on this trajectory.

“There is nothing more to stay regarding Anas’ murder. Know he was stabbed in [a total of] 24 places. There is no hope for justice. It might even take 40 years to get justice,” he said.

Charges were filed against a total of eight people in connection to Anas’ murder; seven adults and a young man whose identity has not been disclosed as he was 17 years old at the time.

The seven adults were: Ahmed Zayan, from Asurumaage, Lh. Kurendhoo; Usman Shareef from M. Dhimishgu; Afrah Abdul Razzaq from M. Lonumidhilige; Junaih Abdullah from Nannaarige, L. Gan; Hassan Mahfooz from Vestonvilla, S. Feydhoo; Simah Moosa, Dhafthar 1746 and Mohamed Saaz, from Gulfaamge, Th. Kinbidhoo.

Ahmed Zayan, Afrah Abdul Razzaq and Usman Shareef were charged with murder with intent using s sharp-edged weapon in connection to the case.

The remaining suspects – Mohamed Saaz, Junaih Abdulla, Hassan Mahfooz and Simah Moosa – allegedly drove the motorcycles – and have been charged as accomplices to murder with intent using a sharp-edged weapon.

The identity of the minor, who was 17 years old at the time of the stabbing, has not been disclosed while the minor’s trial was held separately. Juvenile Court found the minor not guilty in the case on January 3, 2021 – a ruling which was overturned by the High Court to find the minor guilty on October 11, 2022. 

However, his sentence was commuted by former president Ibrahim Mohamed Solih in his last days in office. He had reportedly used his executive powers to commute his 18-year prison sentence to 10 years.  

Anas fled into the Litus Service Center on the night of July 31, 2017 after he was chased by eight people on four motorcycles armed with sharp-edged weapons. The assailants chased him into the center, and stabbed him to death. He sustained 24 stab wounds in the attack.

Dr. Ibrahim Mubeen, who attended to Anas upon being brought to ADK Hospital, testified he had already been dead on arrival. While he sustained 24 stab wounds – Dr. Mubeen said the injuries were severe enough to cause instant death.

A video of Anas’ stabbing went viral on social media back then which clearly captures the incident.

However, there seems to be no spark of hope for Anas’ family who has been yearning justice for Anas for almost seven years.