Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced 31 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 13,691.
According to HPA, the 31 new cases include; 20 cases from the greater Male’ region, five cases from operational resorts, four cases from residential islands outside Male’, and two cases from liveaboards.
Meanwhile, 27 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 13,109.
With the new developments, Maldives now has 527 active cases.
There are 29 patients in hospitals.
311,514 samples (including repeated samples) have been tested for the new coronavirus to date.
With the 31 new infections this Tuesday, 167 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.
December 29: 31 cases
December 28: 16 cases
December 27: 26 cases
December 26: 35 cases
December 25: 25 cases
December 24: 21 cases
December 23: 13 cases
Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.
While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.
The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to the majority of total cases.
8,626 people - making for 63 percent of the 13,691 coronavirus cases in the country are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.
48 coronavirus patients have died from complications.