COVID-19: Maldives records 42 new infections

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on May 22, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Thursday, announced 42 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 11,358.

According to HPA, the 42 new cases include 27 locals and 15 foreigners.

37 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining five cases were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 99 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 10,383.

With the new developments, Maldives now has 931 active cases.

There are 340 patients in isolation facilities and 35 in hospitals.

1,524 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.

With the 42 new infections this Thursday, 245 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

October 22: 42 cases

October 21: 45 cases

October 20: 39 cases

October 19: 22 cases

October 18: 32 cases

October 17: 24 cases

October 16: 41 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emegency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

7,270 people – making for 64 percent of the 11,358 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 36 percent are foreign nationals.

37 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 47 active coronavirus cases in 21 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. H. Dh. Kulhudhuffushi remains under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 23 resorts, including 22 tourists and 30 staff.