COVID-19: Maldives records 63 new infections

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on May 28, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Thursday, announced 63 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 10,354.

According to HPA, the 63 new cases include 31 locals and 32 foreigners.

51 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining 12 were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 79 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 9,187.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 1,126 active cases.

There are 573 patients in isolation facilities and 79 in hospitals.

1,628 samples have been tested for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.

With the 63 new infections this Thursday, 415 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

October 1: 63 cases

September 30: 97 cases

September 29: 37 cases

September 28: 59 cases

September 27: 53 cases

September 26: 31 cases

September 25: 75 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

6,519 people – making for 62 percent of the 10,354 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 38 percent are foreign nationals.

34 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 90 active coronavirus cases in 24 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. G. Dh. Hoadedhoo remains under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 21 resorts, including 10 tourists and 17 staff.