COVID-19: Maldives records 37 new infections

People wearing face masks to prevent the spread of coronavirus as they walk in Male' City. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced 37 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 10,194.

According to HPA, the 37 new cases include 31 locals and six foreigners.

34 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining three were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 87 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24 hours, increasing total recoveries to 9,037.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 1,166 active cases.

There are 556 patients in isolation facilities and 80 in hospitals.

1,427 samples have been tested by health authorities for the new coronavirus over the last 24 hours.

With the 37 new infections this Tuesday, 376 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 29: 37 cases

September 28: 59 cases

September 27: 53 cases

September 26: 31 cases

September 25: 75 cases

September 24: 54 cases

September 23: 67 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

6,446 people – making for 63 percent of the 10,194 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

34 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 35 active coronavirus cases in 23 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. G. Dh. Hoadedhoo remains under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 23 resorts, including 11 tourists and 20 staff.