COVID-19: 46 new infections, 96 hospitalized

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Monday, announced 46 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 9,770.

According to HPA, the 46 new cases include 31 locals and 15 foreigners.

44 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining two were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 129 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 8,390.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 1,340 active cases.

There are 692 patients in isolation facilities and 96 in hospitals.

141,184 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 46 new infections this Monday, 527 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 21: 46 cases

September 20: 75 cases

September 19: 81 cases

September 18: 74 cases

September 17: 67 cases

September 16: 99 cases

September 15: 85 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

6,158 people – making for 63 percent of the 9,770 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

34 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are 48 active coronavirus cases in 22 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. G. Dh. Hoadedhoo remains under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 27 resorts, including 16 tourists and 39 staff.