COVID-19: Maldives records 67 new infections

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Thursday, announced 67 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 9,494.

According to HPA, the 67 new cases include 44 locals and 23 foreigners.

62 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining five were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 130 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 8,033.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 1,422 active cases.

There are 684 patients in isolation facilities and 104 in hospitals.

135,958 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 67 new infections this Thursday, 594 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 17: 67 cases

September 16: 99 cases

September 15: 85 cases

September 14: 70 cases

September 13: 121 cases

September 12: 62 cases

September 11: 90 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

6,010 people – making for 63 percent of the 9,494 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

33 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are active coronavirus cases in 20 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. Two islands outside of the capital; G. Dh. Hoadedhoo and G. Dh. Madaveli are under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 29 resorts, including 21 tourists and 48 staff.