COVID-19: 74 new infections, 105 recoveries

Health professionals engage in a COVID-19 preparedness drill in Maldives on March 25, 2020. (File Photo/Sun/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced 74 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 8,741.

According to HPA, the 74 new cases include 59 locals and 15 foreigners.

63 of the cases were identified from the greater Male’ region, while the remaining 11 were identified from the atolls.

Meanwhile, 105 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 6,157.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 2,549 active cases.

There are 1,096 patients in isolation facilities and 139 in hospitals.

123,472 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 74 new infections this Tuesday, 738 people have tested positive over the last one-week period.

September 8: 74 cases

September 7: 83 cases

September 6: 98 cases

September 5: 125 cases

September 4: 80 cases

September 3: 141 cases

September 2: 137 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

5,515 people – making for 63 percent of the 8,741 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 37 percent are foreign nationals.

29 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

There are active coronavirus cases in 25 residential islands outside of the greater Male’ area. Two islands outside of the capital, G. Dh. Hoadedhoo and G. Dh. Madaveli, are under monitoring.

There are also active cases in 23 resorts, including 17 tourists and 48 staff.