COVID-19: 61 new infections, 7 recoveries

People wear masks as they travel on a road in Male' City on June 18, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Wednesday, announced 61 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 3,567.

According to HPA, the 61 new cases are; 44 Maldivians, 15 Bangladeshis and two Indians.

Meanwhile, 7 additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours, increasing total recoveries to 2,554 cases.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 983 active cases.

There are 657 people in isolation facilities.

76,937 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

There are currently 12 islands under active surveillance. It includes nine residential islands: H. A. Kelaa, R. Dhuvaafaru, R. Hulhudhuffaaru, R. Inguraidhoo, B, Eydhafushi, B. Hithadhoo, Lh. Kurendhoo , A. A. Thoddoo, and K. Maafushi; and three resort islands: Cheval Blanc Randheli, Soneva Jani and Seaside Finolhu Maldives – which is closed for renovation.

With the 61 new infections this Wednesday, 464 people have tested positive over the past one-week period.

July 29: 61 cases

July 28: 137 cases

July 27: 67 cases

July 26: 50 cases

July 25: 77 cases

July 24: 55 cases

July 23: 17 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

1,667 people – making for 46 percent of the 3,567 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 54 percent are foreign nationals. And 1,518 people – making for 42 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 275 Indians, 46 Nepalese, and 29 Sri Lankans, 11 Italians and five Filipinos.

15 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

Greater public movement following the relaxation of many of the coronavirus restriction this July has led to a surge in coronavirus cases. An increasing number of new coronavirus cases are unlinked to existing clusters, which health authorities warn indicates a wide community spread.

Health Minister Abdulla Ameen has urged the public to take necessary precautions such as wearing masks, practicing social distancing, limiting contact with others and refraining from public outing unless necessary , warning that the “sound of the danger alarm is getting louder.”