COVID-19: 137 new infections, no new recoveries

Rapid Response Team (RRT) operates in the streets of Male' City to conduct COVID-19 tests on June 6, 2020. (Sun Photo/Fayaz Moosa)

Health Protection Agency (HPA), on Tuesday, announced 137 additional cases of the new coronavirus, increasing confirmed coronavirus cases in Maldives to 3,506.

According to HPA, the 137 new cases are; 92 Maldivians, 31 Bangladeshis, nine Indians, four Sri Lankans and one Filipino.

It marks the second biggest single-day spike of coronavirus cases recorded in Maldives.

Meanwhile, no additional coronavirus patients were confirmed to have made full recoveries over the last 24-hours and total recoveries remains at 2,547 people.

The new developments mean Maldives now has 929 active cases.

There are 580 people in isolation facilities.

75,550 samples, including repeated samples, have been taken by health authorities to conduct coronavirus tests.

With the 137 new infections this Tuesday, 462 people have tested positive over the past one-week period.

July 28: 137 cases

July 27: 67 cases

July 26: 50 cases

July 25: 77 cases

July 24: 55 cases

July 23: 17 cases

July 22: 59 cases

Maldives identified its first coronavirus case on March 7, and declared a state of public health emergency over the pandemic less than a week later on March 12.

While coronavirus cases had initially been restricted to resorts and safaris, and later quarantine facilities holding inbound travelers, Male’ City identified its first coronavirus case on April 15, prompting a city-wide lockdown and a nationwide ban on nonessential travel.

The populous capital quickly emerged as the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Maldives, contributing to over 90 percent of total cases.

1,623 people – making for 46 percent of the 3,506 coronavirus cases in the country, are Maldivians, while the remaining 54 percent are foreign nationals. And 1,503 people – making for 42 percent of total coronavirus cases – are Bangladeshis. The rest of the coronavirus cases include 273 Indians, 46 Nepalese, and 29 Sri Lankans and 11 Italians.

15 coronavirus patients have died from complications.

Greater public movement following the relaxation of many of the coronavirus restriction this July has led to a surge in coronavirus cases. An increasing number of new coronavirus cases are unlinked to existing clusters, which health authorities warn indicates a wide community spread.

Health Minister Abdulla Ameen at the Health Emergency Operations Coordination Committee meeting on July 28, 2020. (Photo/Health Ministry)

Health Minster Abdulla Ameen convened Health Emergency Operations Coordination Committee for a meeting earlier this Tuesday, during which they discussed further measures proposed to contain the spread of the new coronavirus in Maldives.

Shortly before HPA announced the number of new cases, Ameen wrote a short statement on Twitter warning that the “sound of the danger alarm is getting louder.”

“If you wish for things to return to normal, you must wear masks, maintain social distancing, reduce your contacts, and do not go out unless absolutely necessary. The sound of the danger alarm is getting louder!” he said.