Advertisement

Former Fenaka MD Saeed transferred from prison to home confinement

Fenaka Corporation's former Managing Director Ahmed Saeed Mohamed. (Sun Photo/Naail Hussain)

Ahmed Saeed Mohamed, the former managing director of Fenaka Corporation, who was sentenced to prison last year for corruption, has been temporarily transferred to home confinement.

Saeed was sentenced to four years in prison for corruption in the award of a 2018 procurement contract back in September last year.

A spokesperson from Maldives Correctional Service said on Monday that Saeed was transferred to home confinement temporarily on health grounds.

He was transferred home on Sunday. However, it is unclear for how long he was moved home.

Saeed has previously suffered a heart attack. His family has raised concerns that he does not have proper access to medical care for his heart condition in prison.

His transfer home comes just a few days ahead of Ramadan.

The case against Saeed stems from an MVR 848,000 contract signed between the state utility service provider and Blazon Inc in 2018.

An investigation by the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) uncovered that Blazon was paid by Fenaka before they completed the contracted work and without checking if they had completed the work.

The Criminal Court found Saeed guilty of corruption in the case on September 28, 2025, and sentenced him to four years in prison - a conviction that he has appealed with the High Court.

Saeed is also on trial on similar charges linked to an MVR 11.3 million contract signed between Fenaka and Kaizaan Investment in 2023 for the purchase of an ice plant built by the latter in L. Maamendhoo.

Fenaka and Fisheries Ministry had signed an agreement to develop an ice plant in Maamendhoo on April 20, 2023. According to the Prosecutor General’s Office (PGO), instead of developing an ice plant, Fenaka had purchased an existing one for a highly inflated price of MVR 11.3 million as proposed by Kaizaan.

PGO said the decision was taken without consulting with the Tender Evaluation Committee and despite Fenaka's business plan stating that the ice plant was not a financially viable project.

The decision to purchase Kaizaan’s ice plant was made during a board meeting on September 7, 2023. According to the PGO, Saeed, despite being in attendance, failed to disclose that Fenaka had initially planned to develop the Maamendhoo ice plant internally.

The purchase agreement between Fenaka and Kaizaan was signed the same day.

He entered a plea of 'not guilty' in the case.

The corruption conviction against Saeed came three days after a special audit report publicized by the Auditor General’s Office (AGO) flagged MVR 2.2 billion financial irregularities by the state utility company between 2021 and 2023.

Some of the serious irregularities flagged in the audit report includes:

  • The award of MVR 1.4 billion in procurement contracts without a competitive bidding process.
  • The procurement of refurbished generator sets that were passed off as brand-new ones for MVR 17.4 million, despite their actual value being MVR 2.9 million.
  • The procurement of equipment before contracts were signed.
  • The award of MVR 105 million in delivery contracts to a supplier that did not have a ship to carry the deliveries on.
  • The award of contracts to companies linked to Saeed’s family.
  • The award of multiple no-bid contracts to companies linked to the MDP.

In a statement shortly before the court issued its verdict in the Blazon case, Saeed insisted that he acted in strict compliance with rules and regulations, and slammed the audit report as “rushed”, “politically motivated” and “misleading.”

Fenaka, which is heavily in debt, has been plagued with allegations of corruption throughout different Maldivian administrations.

The Auditor General’s Office recommended a criminal investigation into the irregularities uncovered in the special audit.

Advertisement
Comment